TOP 5 HARDEST WOODS
1. Quebracho – From the Spanish “quebrar hacha,” which literally means “axe breaker.” Aptly named, wood in the Schinopsis genus is among the heaviest and hardest in the world.
2. Lignum Vitae -Widely accepted as the hardest wood in the world–this wood has been listed as an endangered species and is listed in CITES.Consider Verawood as a very close substitute.
3. Gidgee – This Australian endemic is both very heavy and very strong.Some pieces are dark enough to be used as an ebony substitute: one that’s even harder than the original article.
4. Snakewood – It’s easy to see what makes Snakewood so unique–its patterns and markings resemble the skin of a snake. Limited supply and high demand make this one of the most expensive woods on eart.
5. Verawood – Sometimes called Argentine Lignum Vitae, this wood is a gem: inexpensive, great olive-green color, beautiful feathery grain pattern, and it takes a great natural polish on the lathe.